I made this finger painted dragonfly a couple year back with my youngest son. I still have it framed & bring it out each spring, it’s one of my favorite keepsakes 💚
Random fact to share with your kids: Dragonflies hunt other flying insects, so agility is key. To help with this, dragonflies can move each of their four wings independently. It’s because of this that they can fly backwards, up and down. They can turn on a dime and hover in one spot for minutes at a time. How neat is that?!
Materials you’ll need:
- Two sheets of white paper – we used cardstock paper
- Black marker – we used a sharpie
To see our favorite craft supplies click here.
- Draw a dragonfly shape on one of your white sheets of paper. If drawing isn’t your thing, you can always google search an image & trace it!
- Cut out your dragon fly – this will be your stencil.
- Tape down your other solid sheet of white paper to a hard surface. We just taped down the edges.
- Tape your dragonfly stencil to the top of that sheet of paper. Again, tape down just the edges.
- Now have fun finger painting! Press your painted finger tips down all over the dragonfly stencil opening.
- Carefully & slowly lift up your dragonfly stencil.
- Allow your paint to dry.
- Add your ‘Welcome Spring’ message to the top and bottom of your dragonfly.
- Trace your dragonfly outline with black marker to make it pop. You’re finished!
Here’s a short video of us making our finger painted dragonfly:
Why I love this craft so much:
- My kids love all sensory crafts. Getting their hands dirty is so much fun!
- I put ours in a picture frame & get it out each spring. It’s one of my favorite keepsakes.
- It was something that we created together. Mother & son bonding time 🧡
- How long did it take to dry? It depends on how thick you put your paint on. Ours took roughly 30 minutes to totally dry. You could always use a blow dryer to speed things up!
- What type of paint did you use? We used Crayola washable paint, but any paint should work.
To see more of our spring crafts click here. I hope you find something you love!