I’ve been trying to think of different Halloween activities for my 4 year old to do at home. This spooky spider ice was a hit! It’s a super simple set up for you & about a half hour of fun for them!
Here is everything you’ll need:
- Ice cube tray
- Plastic spiders – the ones we used are linked here.
- Food coloring
- Medicine dropper
- Take your plastic spiders & place one in each slot of your ice cube tray.
2. Fill your tray up with water & add one drop of food coloring to each spot. Use whatever colors you’d like! (We used orange, purple, and green)
3. Freeze for a few hours.
4. Pop your ice cubes out and put them in a shallow dish.
5. Fill up a separate bowl with warm water & let your kids use a medicine dropper to squirt the spooky ice cubes! Rescue each of them one by one 🙂
6. When you’re done you can refill & save for another day!
Reasons why I love this Sooky Spider Ice activity:
- It kept my 4 year old busy for a half hour. He loved doing this so much!
- My son is learning about water temperatures and how they effect ice.
- He’s strengthening his fine motor skills by using the medicine dropper. He has to use a pinchers grasp to fill it.
- It only took me 5 minutes to set up!
You could also freeze the spiders without the food coloring and give it to them in their drink to see their reaction! Harmless Halloween prank I might have to try myself 🙂
Here is a short video of us making our spooky spider ice:
If you have any questions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org – I’d love to hear from you!