Tissue paper painted hearts are the perfect craft for Valentine’s Day. If you haven’t tried painting with tissue paper before I highly recommend it. They turn out so fun!
Here is what you’ll need:
- White card stock paper
- Black sheet of paper for the background
- White crayon or white oil pastel
- Tissue paper cut into small squares
- Paint brush
FYI: Some tissue papers WILL bleed and some WILL NOT. If your tissue paper has a waxy feel, it will not bleed. Tissue paper bought from an arts and craft store should work!
To see our favorite craft supplies click here.
- Use your white crayon to draw hearts & squiggly designs on your white paper. If you have a hard time seeing what you’re drawing try going somewhere with more light.
- Dip your paint brush in water and brush a thin layer of water on your white paper.
- Lay down your tissue paper while your water is still wet. You can overlap colors, don’t worry about perfection!
- Once all your tissue paper is in place, brush another thin layer of water to the top.
- Allow everything to dry completely. We let ours dry overnight.
- Once everything is dry, peel off your tissue paper to reveal your fun design.
- Glue to your black sheet of paper to make everything pop. You’re finished!
How it works: The wax from the crayon will resist any water & coloring that you add to it and the tissue paper will bleed onto the paper once it is wet.
You can get so creative with this technique, I hope you love it as much as we do ❤
Here’s a short video of us making our tissue paper painted hearts:
If you have any questions on this craft feel free to send me an email. I’d be happy to help.
To see more of our Valentine’s Day crafts click here. I hope you find something your kids will love!
I am also on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, and YouTube – come find me there! Thank you for your support, it means the world to me.